Haunted Schools

What are your favorite Haunted Places?
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Haunted Schools

Postby MauEvig » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:05 pm

This not only interested me because I'm into hauntings and the paranormal; but the fact that I'm a substitute teacher. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR29wbOnMSc

I wonder if the school I'm going to work for is haunted? I remember once my Mom cleaned this one school before she went to the one she cleans now (which is my old Middle School); and she could have sworn the eyes in the painting there in that room were following her.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Haunted Schools

Postby Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:49 pm

You know, there are lots of ghost stories about Washington & Lee as well as Mary Baldwin right in your neck of the woods.
MauEvig
Halloween Master

Postby MauEvig » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Really? I'd be interested in hearing some of the ghost stories that are local.

If Mary Baldwin really is haunted, all the more reason for me to want to go there! :lol: I thought about Washington and Lee but I think they're really expensive and I'm not sure if they'd have the endorsements I'd need...I think that's what they're called. I'm still figuring this all out.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Postby Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:06 am

I doubt W&L is any more expensive than MBC, but you can apply for grants, etc. Of course you will want to be sure that wherever you go, the school has the programs you need. I know MBC has the education degrees because that's where my husband picked up the courses he needed to teach. He already had a degree from Vanderbilt, but he needed the right courses for endorsements, as you say, and he wasn't planning on being a teacher when he was in college. (I would also say it is probably easier to be admitted to Mary Baldwin than to Washington & Lee, which is currently ranked #14 among national liberal arts colleges.)

I don't recall the specifics of the ghost stories from those schools right now, but I'm sure with minimal research, you could dig some up. I know at MBC, the girls used to talk about a haunted dorm room, where objects moved on their own, etc. I think it was connected with the movie actress Tallulah Bankhead, who had attended Mary Baldwin as a young woman.

On W&L campus, the stories center around the Lee Chapel, where Robert E. Lee is entombed (downstairs).
MauEvig
Halloween Master

Postby MauEvig » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:07 am

I could have sworn from the Virginia Education wizard (which I really don't like to use to be honest lol) that W&L was more expensive, but I'm not sure.

Sounds interesting and I'll have to look into them. A lot of references to Robert E. Lee were made on the Lexington Ghost tour, though since W&L is in Lexington I guess that makes sense. :)

I won't be staying in the dorms though, I'll likely commute or take my classes online, so I might not get to experience any ghosts if I go to MB. Unless the classrooms are haunted too. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Postby Murfreesboro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:31 am

I taught there for six years and had no experience with haunted classrooms, or haunted offices either, for that matter. Although I do recall there was a window pane in my office that had some initials and the date "1913" scratched in it, because the building had formerly been a dorm. At some point during my time there, they replaced the windows, and I was sad to lose that inscription.

I haven't looked at the relative cost of the two schools, Mau, so perhaps you are right about the price tag. I just know that they are both private, and most private schools are in the $50,000-$60,000 range. Places like Vanderbilt & Duke charge around $60,000. The smaller liberal arts schools settle around $50,000. But maybe $20,000 of that is room & board, so if you are not staying on campus, you can lop that part of it off the price. And you needn't be scared of the prices of any of these places, because private schools tend to have good scholarship & financial aid programs, and the government will often help out, too, if you qualify as lower income. And you'd be surprised who can do that--some very middle class folks get Pell Grants, or whatever they are called these days. There are also special funds available for women who are returning to school beyond the traditional college age.

Return to “Haunted Places”