would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
User avatar
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master
Posts: 6767
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 am

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin_Man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 am

We all actualy try to live by the one Biblical admonition "Judge not lest ye be judged." but you are right. We have a very wide veriety of different religions in our family today. Most are still Catholic, but do not agree with all the Church teachings. My older brothers Bob and Barry are die-hard agnostics, and at times can be down right obnoxious about the way they ridicule the Catholic belief system. They figure it's okay since they were raised Catholic themselvs. I especialy don't like the filthy jokes they tell about priests. For the most part, they respect my beliefs, but there have been a few "moments," that I was tempted to say something that I would regret at a later time. My sister inlaw, Sandy is a die hard atheist, but she's very quite, and never tells those kind of jokes or pokes fun at believers like many atheists do. She doesn't believe in anything, bue at least she doesn't refer to God as "the nonsense word," nor does she state that anyone who prays is talking to him or her self.

My niece Cheryl, the Wiican, is the most respectful of all of us. You see, some times when the discussion gets heated, I do tend to be less respectful than I should because I get angry. That happens very seldomly, but it h as happened. For that reason, I never bring up the topic of religion at a family gathering. If they bring it up, I'll try to convey my beliefs withoug flying off the handle, BUT, when they start telling those horrid jokes about priests, I'll leave the room.

Mike

User avatar
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 am

As far as I know, I'm the lone atheist in my family as well. I also keep to myself about it because everyone in my family is Christian of varying degrees. I'm not offended by their beliefs or anyone else's, it was just never for me. The few times I have let slip that I'm not religious (not to my family) I've be horribly berated. And I wasn't even doing anything or saying anything offensive, I just accidently let the cat out of the bag, but it always seemed to be treated as an attack. I remember one time years ago, this guy I worked with started talking to me about the apostles or something of that nature and I truely had no idea what he was talking about. After a few minutes, when I felt like he might be a stopping point, I quietly and timidly told him I was atheist. He was somewhat horrified and started peppering me with questions about how and why I could be that way. A week or so later he left a copy of The Passion of the Christ (it had just come out on dvd) on my desk and told me that it would change my life and teach me something. Since then, I pretty much stay out of conversations regarding religion (although I was never really in them before either). It's not my business and I can't really add anything to the discussion and besides that, I'm afraid of what would happen if my 'secret' slipped again. I guess the point I'm trying to make is I think your brothers are out of line, Mike for making jokes about your beliefs that they know will offend you, just like my co-worker was out of line for interrogating and trying to convert me. It's a tricky subject and I wish that everyone could be more tolerant of one another. It's not hurting anything to be different, in my opinion.

Oh and I probably wouldn't take part in a seance. I don't have the patience and what if this showed up at my door...

Image
zoltan hound dracula
Halloween Master
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:18 am
What is the highest number?: 10992
Location: HALLOWEENTOWN

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby zoltan hound dracula » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am

HI ALL,DON"T KNOW IF YOU GUYS REMEMBER A PROGRAMME CALLED MOST HAUNTED,THEY DID SEANCE"S ON THAT ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DID THE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL ONE"S,THEY LOOKED REALLY SCAREY ON THAT BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WERE FAKED,IM BEGINNING TO WONDER TO MUCH HAPPENED AT THE TABLE,BUT WHO KNOWS :)
User avatar
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 am

zoltan hound dracula wrote:HI ALL,DON"T KNOW IF YOU GUYS REMEMBER A PROGRAMME CALLED MOST HAUNTED,THEY DID SEANCE"S ON THAT ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DID THE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL ONE"S,THEY LOOKED REALLY SCAREY ON THAT BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WERE FAKED,IM BEGINNING TO WONDER TO MUCH HAPPENED AT THE TABLE,BUT WHO KNOWS :)


I remember that show--that's the one with the blonde with the pixie cut, right? I remember they used to do a live show around Halloween and people could contact the show via fax or email with what they were seeing online in rooms that the cast wasn't in. I always wanted to send in an urgent fax that said "it's right behind you!!!!!"

:lol:
zoltan hound dracula
Halloween Master
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:18 am
What is the highest number?: 10992
Location: HALLOWEENTOWN

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby zoltan hound dracula » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 am

Pumpkin56 wrote:
zoltan hound dracula wrote:HI ALL,DON"T KNOW IF YOU GUYS REMEMBER A PROGRAMME CALLED MOST HAUNTED,THEY DID SEANCE"S ON THAT ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DID THE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL ONE"S,THEY LOOKED REALLY SCAREY ON THAT BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WERE FAKED,IM BEGINNING TO WONDER TO MUCH HAPPENED AT THE TABLE,BUT WHO KNOWS :)


I remember that show--that's the one with the blonde with the pixie cut, right? I remember they used to do a live show around Halloween and people could contact the show via fax or email with what they were seeing online in rooms that the cast wasn't in. I always wanted to send in an urgent fax that said "it's right behind you!!!!!"

:lol:

YEP THATS RIGHT IT WAS A BRILLIANT SHOW PUMPKIN56,THE PIXIE CUT BLONDE"S NAME WAS YVETTE FIELDING AND SHE AND HER HUBBY LEFT THE SHOW IN JUNE 2010,I REALLY MISS THAT SHOW,APPARENTLY PUMPKIN56 THEY MOVED TO AMERICA TO DO A NEW SHOW MAYBE YOU KNOW HUH
User avatar
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 am

zoltan hound dracula wrote:
Pumpkin56 wrote:
zoltan hound dracula wrote:HI ALL,DON"T KNOW IF YOU GUYS REMEMBER A PROGRAMME CALLED MOST HAUNTED,THEY DID SEANCE"S ON THAT ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DID THE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL ONE"S,THEY LOOKED REALLY SCAREY ON THAT BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WERE FAKED,IM BEGINNING TO WONDER TO MUCH HAPPENED AT THE TABLE,BUT WHO KNOWS :)


I remember that show--that's the one with the blonde with the pixie cut, right? I remember they used to do a live show around Halloween and people could contact the show via fax or email with what they were seeing online in rooms that the cast wasn't in. I always wanted to send in an urgent fax that said "it's right behind you!!!!!"

:lol:

YEP THATS RIGHT IT WAS A BRILLIANT SHOW PUMPKIN56,THE PIXIE CUT BLONDE"S NAME WAS YVETTE FIELDING AND SHE AND HER HUBBY LEFT THE SHOW IN JUNE 2010,I REALLY MISS THAT SHOW,APPARENTLY PUMPKIN56 THEY MOVED TO AMERICA TO DO A NEW SHOW MAYBE YOU KNOW HUH


Sorry Z, I am of no help there. I don't really watch much tv (except for my addictions on HBO) unless I just know of some spooky show that's coming on...

I'll keep my eyes open though 8)
zoltan hound dracula
Halloween Master
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:18 am
What is the highest number?: 10992
Location: HALLOWEENTOWN

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby zoltan hound dracula » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:52 am

NO WORRIES,THANKS ANYWAY,THAT SHOW MOST HAUNTED USED TO GO LIVE EVERY NIGHT AT HALLOWEEN FOR A WEEK ,HEY THEY MIGHT MAKE A NEW SHOW IN AMERICA FOR THIS HALLOWEEN,IT WAS A BIG HIT HEAR IN THE UK,HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE PUMPKIN56 HUH
User avatar
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 pm

zoltan hound dracula wrote:NO WORRIES,THANKS ANYWAY,THAT SHOW MOST HAUNTED USED TO GO LIVE EVERY NIGHT AT HALLOWEEN FOR A WEEK ,HEY THEY MIGHT MAKE A NEW SHOW IN AMERICA FOR THIS HALLOWEEN,IT WAS A BIG HIT HEAR IN THE UK,HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE PUMPKIN56 HUH


I'd like to see a live show in the Stanley Hotel. I seem to remember one being done in the Winchester mansion, but I think the Stanley would be way more entertaining.
zoltan hound dracula
Halloween Master
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:18 am
What is the highest number?: 10992
Location: HALLOWEENTOWN

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby zoltan hound dracula » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:
zoltan hound dracula wrote:NO WORRIES,THANKS ANYWAY,THAT SHOW MOST HAUNTED USED TO GO LIVE EVERY NIGHT AT HALLOWEEN FOR A WEEK ,HEY THEY MIGHT MAKE A NEW SHOW IN AMERICA FOR THIS HALLOWEEN,IT WAS A BIG HIT HEAR IN THE UK,HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE PUMPKIN56 HUH


I'd like to see a live show in the Stanley Hotel. I seem to remember one being done in the Winchester mansion, but I think the Stanley would be way more entertaining.

OMG YEP I REMEMBER THE ONE IN WINCHESTER MANSION PUMPKIN56,IT WAS BRILLIANT,HEY HERE"S ONE YOU MIGHT REMEMBER HUH


http://youtu.be/DJe3CvuYp4U
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
Posts: 4572
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Murfreesboro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 am

I'm still trying to imagine that fellow trying to convert you, Pumpkin, by leaving you a copy of Passion of the Christ. If a person has no religious belief, then it's just a movie about a man being tortured to death. And lots of devout Christians have a hard time watching it. I pull it out every Good Friday and watch it alone, because no one else in my family wants to sit through it. (I think most of them have seen it once, and that was enough. My 14-yr-old daughter has never seen it. I think she is just now old enough to be able to watch it, but I won't force her.)

I think I'd recommend reading the Bible to anyone who had curiosity about the faith, because it is a superb collection of stories, foundational to Western civilization, even if you don't believe it as a religion. And the Easter story doesn't make much sense if you don't know the Old Testament context for it.

As for seances--I have heard about that TV series you all are talking about, but I have never seen it, as I no longer subscribe to cable. Remind me, Pumpkin, where is the Stanley Hotel? I should know, but I've forgotten.
User avatar
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master
Posts: 6767
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 am

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin_Man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:40 am

Pumpkin 56, I would be the very last person to insult and berate you because you don't believe the same way I believe. That coworker of yours was out of line, and for more then one reason. 1st and formost, he tried to impose his belief system on you. 2ndly, and equally important, the work place is NOT the forum to discuss religion or politics. It has little or nothing to do with the job, unless you actualy work for a church or a politician. When I graduated my from high school, my first jog was in a factory that manufactured industrial machine presses for the auto industry. There was an Evangelical Protestant who drove me crazy with his Bible thumping, as soon as I made the "mistake" of telling him that I was Catholic. So you see, it isn't just the atheists and the agnostics who get it. Some times, Christians will berate other Christians to get them over to their particular brand of Christianity. The job I was supposed to be doing at that time, was electrical wiring, NOT religious debate. So the constant religious lectures really had no place in that particular forum.

Mike
User avatar
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin56 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:13 am

Aw, thanks Mike. You can always expect the same courtesy from me as well. I'm a very mild-mannered Pumpkinhead :)

The Stanley Hotel is in Colorado, Murf. It's where Stephen King was inspired to write The Shining.
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
Posts: 4572
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Murfreesboro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:28 am

Ah, yes. Thanks. That would be an interesting place to visit!
User avatar
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin56 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:42 am

Probably a scary place to visit too! :o
User avatar
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master
Posts: 6767
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 am

Re: would you ever consider taking part in a seance?

Postby Pumpkin_Man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 am

Is the Stanley Hotel supposedly haunted? That might be a fun 'haunted road trip' to make.

Mike

Return to “Halloween General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests