The Incubus and Its Ways

Discuss/post ghost stories etc!
Haunt Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: Melancholy Hill

The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Midnight Witch » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:06 am

Image

"An incubus (nominal form constructed from the Latin verb, incubo, incubare, or "to lie upon") is a demon in male form who, according to a number of mythological and legendary traditions, lies upon sleepers, especially women, in order to have intercourse with them. Its female counterpart is the succubus. An incubus may pursue sexual relations with a woman in order to father a child, as in the legend of Merlin.[1] Religious tradition holds that repeated intercourse with an incubus or succubus may result in the deterioration of health, or even death.[2]
Medieval legend claims that demons, both male and female, sexually prey on human beings - generally during the night when the victim is sleeping."

That's disturbing. Do any of you speculate the existence of this demon?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Einstein

Halloween Master
Posts: 3392
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:06 pm
What is the highest number?: 9

Location: Eerie Acres Cemetery

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Rising Dead Man » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Well I think if they're real, how do I get one to come to me?
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Haunt Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: Melancholy Hill

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Midnight Witch » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Rising Dead Man wrote:Well I think if they're real, how do I get one to come to me?


That wouldn't be too healthy for you, Dead Man.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Einstein

Halloween Master
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Murfreesboro » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 am

Rising Dead Man wrote:Well I think if they're real, how do I get one to come to me?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the whole incubus/succubus thing was probably a way of trying to explain erotic dreams, particularly in a culture where there may have been a lot of guilt associated with s-e-x.

I also think it is possible that some of this perceived experience may have been due to a psychological phenomenon known as "sleep paralysis." I learned about this particular form of anxiety attack in my childhood, because it runs in my family. My mother and one of my uncles had these dreams, where they thought they were awake, but something threatening was happening to them and they could not move or respond. They almost couldn't breathe. In my mother's case, she used to dream she was tied to a railroad track and the train was coming. I have had these dreams once or twice as well, in my adulthood, but because of my mother's experience with them, I knew what they were (after I was awake, of course). In my case, I dreamed (hallucinated might be a better term for it, as you believe you are awake) that I was undergoing a medical examination against my will. Once a few years later I dreamed that a (female) ghost was lying on top of me and sucking the life out of me (it wasn't a sexual sensation, though).

I firmly believe that many of the so-called "alien abduction/encounter" stories are of this nature as well. These dreams seem very real, and you would swear you are awake when they are happening, but you aren't.

Haunt Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: Melancholy Hill

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Midnight Witch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:
Rising Dead Man wrote:Well I think if they're real, how do I get one to come to me?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the whole incubus/succubus thing was probably a way of trying to explain erotic dreams, particularly in a culture where there may have been a lot of guilt associated with s-e-x.

I also think it is possible that some of this perceived experience may have been due to a psychological phenomenon known as "sleep paralysis." I learned about this particular form of anxiety attack in my childhood, because it runs in my family. My mother and one of my uncles had these dreams, where they thought they were awake, but something threatening was happening to them and they could not move or respond. They almost couldn't breathe. In my mother's case, she used to dream she was tied to a railroad track and the train was coming. I have had these dreams once or twice as well, in my adulthood, but because of my mother's experience with them, I knew what they were (after I was awake, of course). In my case, I dreamed (hallucinated might be a better term for it, as you believe you are awake) that I was undergoing a medical examination against my will. Once a few years later I dreamed that a (female) ghost was lying on top of me and sucking the life out of me (it wasn't a sexual sensation, though).

I firmly believe that many of the so-called "alien abduction/encounter" stories are of this nature as well. These dreams seem very real, and you would swear you are awake when they are happening, but you aren't.


I see. Those dreams must be frightening.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Einstein

Halloween Master
Posts: 3392
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:06 pm
What is the highest number?: 9

Location: Eerie Acres Cemetery

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Rising Dead Man » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Midnight Witch wrote:
Murfreesboro wrote:
Rising Dead Man wrote:Well I think if they're real, how do I get one to come to me?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the whole incubus/succubus thing was probably a way of trying to explain erotic dreams, particularly in a culture where there may have been a lot of guilt associated with s-e-x.

I also think it is possible that some of this perceived experience may have been due to a psychological phenomenon known as "sleep paralysis." I learned about this particular form of anxiety attack in my childhood, because it runs in my family. My mother and one of my uncles had these dreams, where they thought they were awake, but something threatening was happening to them and they could not move or respond. They almost couldn't breathe. In my mother's case, she used to dream she was tied to a railroad track and the train was coming. I have had these dreams once or twice as well, in my adulthood, but because of my mother's experience with them, I knew what they were (after I was awake, of course). In my case, I dreamed (hallucinated might be a better term for it, as you believe you are awake) that I was undergoing a medical examination against my will. Once a few years later I dreamed that a (female) ghost was lying on top of me and sucking the life out of me (it wasn't a sexual sensation, though).

I firmly believe that many of the so-called "alien abduction/encounter" stories are of this nature as well. These dreams seem very real, and you would swear you are awake when they are happening, but you aren't.


I see. Those dreams must be frightening.


I experience sleep paralysis often. It's scary as hell, but I never thought it was supernatural. From what I've read, it's actually not a dream. When you're asleep you're muscles usually freeze up to keep you from moving in your sleep. Sometimes some people wake up before their muscles do, and sometimes they're still sort of dreaming when this happens. So okay, the frozen muscles themselves are not a dream, but the rest is.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Halloween Master
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Murfreesboro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:33 am

Rising Dead Man wrote:
I experience sleep paralysis often. It's scary as hell, but I never thought it was supernatural. From what I've read, it's actually not a dream. When you're asleep you're muscles usually freeze up to keep you from moving in your sleep. Sometimes some people wake up before their muscles do, and sometimes they're still sort of dreaming when this happens. So okay, the frozen muscles themselves are not a dream, but the rest is.


Right, that's how it works.

I'm relieved to say that I don't experience this stuff "often." I've had only two such dreams so far in my life. My mother went through a phase where she seemed to have them fairly frequently. When she was going through menopause, and my father had died, and her mother had died, she had it rough for a while. One of her brothers, who was manic-depressive, was also subject to them. He was a business owner, and I think the pressures of his business combined with his mental health issues were rough on him. These dreams are a form of anxiety attack, so if you have them frequently, it probably means there is some issue (or issues) in your life that are bugging you, deep down.

During the period when my mother was having sleep paralysis she was also hospitalized for nervous exhaustion. This (nervous exhaustion) is a very physical form of anxiety attack. It mimics a heart attack, and most people who have it think they are having a heart attack. But there is nothing wrong with their hearts.

Halloween Master
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:30 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: somewhere over the rainbow...

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby ramaries69 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:28 am

I've seen this movie many years ago and it's about an Incubus attack on a woman. If you haven't seen it, it's good.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082334/

As for, sleep paralysis. I've experienced them too many times. I personally think, it's similar to when we die. I remember on one occassion, sleeping on my mom's bed and her bedroom door was facing the kitchen. My mom could see me asleep in the bedroom from
her kitchen and I could see her. I remember trying to get up and realizing that I couldn't.
At the moment, my aunt had just came in to visit my mom and had a conversation with my mom and left. In the meantime, I was trying to call my mom and I couldn't figure out why she couldn't hear me. I clearly remember drooling on myself as I tried to speak and couldn't. After struggling to move, (which seemed like eternity), I finally woke and in a frustrated tone, asking my mom, why didn't she hear me calling her?! She responded, that I was asleep the whole time! I know I wasn't. I reiterated everthing I saw and we were both perplexed. It's an awful feeling because you are immobile.

Haunt Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: Melancholy Hill

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Midnight Witch » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 pm

ramaries69 wrote:I've seen this movie many years ago and it's about an Incubus attack on a woman. If you haven't seen it, it's good.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082334/

As for, sleep paralysis. I've experienced them too many times. I personally think, it's similar to when we die. I remember on one occassion, sleeping on my mom's bed and her bedroom door was facing the kitchen. My mom could see me asleep in the bedroom from
her kitchen and I could see her. I remember trying to get up and realizing that I couldn't.
At the moment, my aunt had just came in to visit my mom and had a conversation with my mom and left. In the meantime, I was trying to call my mom and I couldn't figure out why she couldn't hear me. I clearly remember drooling on myself as I tried to speak and couldn't. After struggling to move, (which seemed like eternity), I finally woke and in a frustrated tone, asking my mom, why didn't she hear me calling her?! She responded, that I was asleep the whole time! I know I wasn't. I reiterated everthing I saw and we were both perplexed. It's an awful feeling because you are immobile.


To be immobilized seems to be very frightening. If I've ever experienced Sleep Paralysis, I don't remember doing so. I want to, though, as strange as this seems...I want to know the feeling.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Einstein

Halloween Master
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Murfreesboro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Since the tendency to have these dreams seems to run in my mother's family, I'm guessing that it has some biological basis. Probably has to do with brain chemistry. Some people must be more susceptible than others.

Halloween Master
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:11 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: Arizona, USA

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby jadewik » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:01 am

It may have also been a way to explain away night terrors, in conjunction with dreaming of copulation and/or paralysis. Sleep Paralysis is linked to sleep deprivation...

I wonder, though, about the connection between Incubus/Succubus and the German Alps... and I'm not talking about the mountains. Alps are mythical denizens of the night as well.

Halloween Master
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: Minnesota

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Li H'Sen Chang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:08 am

These are good demons and some good horror fodder.
我想念我的家

Halloween Master
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
What is the highest number?: 10992

Location: The Pumpkin Patch...where else?

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Pumpkin56 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:57 am

Rising Dead Man wrote:Well I think if they're real, how do I get one to come to me?


:lol:

I bet you could find some online RDM :wink:

Halloween Master
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Murfreesboro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 am

jadewik wrote:
I wonder, though, about the connection between Incubus/Succubus and the German Alps... and I'm not talking about the mountains. Alps are mythical denizens of the night as well.


Well, you have taught me something. I never knew that an alp was anything other than a mountain.

Halloween Master
Posts: 6767
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 am

Re: The Incubus and Its Ways

Postby Pumpkin_Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 am

As to the existance of devils, I have no doubt. There very much are devils and a hell. Those evils are very real, and very dangerous to us. I also believe that there is such a thing as the incubus and the sucubus, but their functions are to tempt men and women into sexual sin, NOT to have intimate relasions with humans, or to sexualy abuse us. The Bible promises that no human would ever be put to a challenge that he or she couldn't handle. If demons were set loose to rape us, that would be something completely beyond our control and ability to deal with. I know there are a lot of belief systems here, but the one I was raised with teaches that the following criteris has to be present in order for a sin to be comitted. 1st and formost, it must actualy be a sin. 2ndly and equaly important, the sinner MUST KNOW that it's a sin, and 3rdly and equally importantly, the sinner must committ the action willingly, of his or her own free will.

If a criminal straps a abomb to your chest and makes you walk into a bank and hand the teller a threatening note, you are NOT guilty of any wrong doing what so ever. It's the same deal with sexuality. If an incubus or a sucubus walks up to you in the form of a beautiful woman (succubus) or a very handsom man (incubus) and says "let's make love," and you WILLINGLY go along with it, then you are guilty. If, on the other hand, they use their demonic powers to rape you, then you are guild of no wrong doing. The objective of all the devils in hell is to sucker you into freely deciding to sin, as that is how they get you.

Mike


Return to “Paranormal and Ghost Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests